Local History Room: New Hours!

newhours2Our Local History Room, located on the second floor of the Main Building has new hours! A librarian will be available to answer your genealogy and history related questions or you are invited to just browse the collection:
Tuesdays • 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm
Thursdays • 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
Wednesdays • 5:00 pm – 8:30 pm (Beginning in October)

To make individual appointments or for more information, contact Teresa Schwind at 631–427-5165 x 202 or by email: .

history reference center
History Reference Center is the world's most extensive full-text history reference database, featuring full text for more than 1,990 reference books, encyclopedias, and non-fiction books. This content comes from leading history publishers such as Branden Publishing, Compass Point Books, Houghton Mifflin, Lerner Publishing Group, Mason Crest Publishers, Morgan Reynolds Inc., Oliver Press, Oxford University Press, Rourke Publishing LLC, Salem Press, Stackpole Books, and Toucan Valley Publications.  History Reference Center also includes full text for 150 leading history periodicals, including America's Civil War, American Historical Review, American History, Archaeology, British Heritage, Canada’s History, Civil War Times, Heritage New Zealand, Military History, Teaching History, African Studies Quarterly, Ancient Egypt Magazine, American Indian Quarterly, Australian Historical Studies, Chinese Studies in History, Early Medieval Europe, Family & Community History, and many more!
The Old Abrams Shipyard


Our Mary Talmage Local History Room houses a collection of materials consisting of photographs, postcards, scrapbooks, maps, newspaper clippings, oral histories, and many unique items that were originally housed in the Soldier's and Sailor's Memorial Building, and moved to our present location at 338 Main Street.

Room Hours:

Tuesdays, 1:00 to 4:30 pm  ·  Thursdays, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm  For further information about our collection, doing research or donating materials, please contact Teresa Schwind at 631-427-5165 ext. 202 or email 

Huntington Digital Collection

Huntington Public Library and Town history through historic photographs, documents, postcards, oral histories, and a Walt Whitman collection are available via our Huntington Digital Collection.
The Soldiers and Sailors Building

Family History Center Microfilm/Microfiche Service

Please Note:  As of August 31, 2017 the microfilm circulation from the Family History Center to libraries will be ending.  Family History Center has digitized much of their collection and report that the remaining microfilms should be digitized by 2020, and all new records from its ongoing global efforts are already using digital camera equipment. There are still questions about access to some resources.  As we get clarification from the Family History Center we will let you know.  



Story Time at the Soldiers and Sailors Building

Long Island Memories

Huntington Public Library is proud to participate in the Long Island Memories Project, a Long Island Library Resources (LILRC) Regional Digitization Program to develop a regional digital collection built collaboratively by regional institutions that will:

  • Ensure public access to the rich regional resources of Long Island.
  • Promote the economic and efficient delivery of digital resources to the people of Long Island.
  • Contribute to the State and National effort to develop digital libraries and museums.
  • Encourage the use of digital resources to meet the New York State education standards.



Highlights of our Collection

Interior of Soldiers and Sailors Building



School District:


  • Ketcham
  • Brush
  • Bowers
  • Lloyd
  • Frost
  • Sammis
  • Wickes
  • Skidmore
  • Scudder
  • and more...

Historic Newspapers:
Portico (Huntington Newspaper) - (1826-1827)